Cnunchy News

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cnunchy News

Post by Papahyooie on Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:34 am

I need to take the server down tonight to deal with some heat issues. CPU is hitting 90 degrees and that isn't good.

Also, the title is about crunching. You may see some reduced performance on the server in the next couple of weeks. The reason is I will be using the server for crunching.

Crunching is a program that you run on your computer in the background, and it uses your CPU's spare cycles to computer data. This data is to benefit different research projects, namely medical research. So you're basically donating time on your computer to benefit these research projects. More information can be found here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I usually do this on my other machines, but the reason I'm getting the server involved is that another site I am a member on is having a contest. I have to generate a certain amount of points to be considered for a drawing for the winning. The winner will receive a new high-end computer. If I win, that computer will probably replace the server, which means more performance and more projects for you guys!

If you're interested in helping out, just let me know, and I will tell you how, and you can use your computer in its spare time, to not only benefit Battleborne, but more importantly, to benefit cancer and aids research (as those are the two projects that I donate to.) So if you guys want to help you can crunch under my username and get me more points, and maybe we can win a new machine for the server! If anyone's interested, let me know!

- Also, This will degrade server performance slightly, but not much. As for using it on your personal computer, it won't affect it at all, as by default it pauses while you are using the computer. I will be modifying the settings on my own machines to crunch 24/7, but if you leave it at default it will not degrade your computers performance at all.

Admin

http://battleborne.betaboard.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Cnunchy News

Post by Troy on Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:45 pm

Nice idea. Getting a better computer is also nice.

Troy
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Troy on Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:38 pm

So how did this turn out? Did you win?

Troy
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Papahyooie on Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:42 pm

Unfortunately not. But it was fun, and we helped a good cause. Maybe next time!

Admin

http://battleborne.betaboard.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top